Thursday, February 5, 2015

KEEP TELLING THE STORY

              I just celebrated my 67th birthday.  We went to Johnny Cace's in Longview Tx.
 They are closing down after 66 yrs in business.  Up until about 10 years ago we celebrated almost every wedding anniversary there.  So when I heard they would be shutting the doors in March; I decided why not one last celebration there.  The interesting thing about that was that
we had to wait 2 hours to get a table.  The owner told us that if the crowds were always like this night they would not be closing!

      So what does one do while you wait 2 hrs to eat?  You talk to the people around you of course.
I was blessed to be sitting beside this 80-something sweet lady who had to tell me about her daughters, granddaughters, and great granddaughter.  How they were dancers and educators and had traveled the world.  She herself was an accomplished pianist and had 3 grand pianos in her home.  Then because that only took about 15 minutes, she told me again and again and "did I tell you about my dancing daughter"? Well, you get the picture.

      When we finally were seated my sister -in- law and I then got to talk.  She asked me a question that has prompted this post. ...................."So what do you do all day now that you are retired?"

     Well, that only took about 3 sentences and she said, "Hmmm".... I began to rehash that in my mind.  What DO I do all day?  Clean, cook, study my Bible, stay  in touch with out of town (out of state)                      family.
             Some of that cooking is providing for church family in times of need, but still.....
                      .seems mighty paltry to me.
     
                 Now the old me would have said, "So what?"  You put in your 37 years of time, you deserve it.  But I had to go to the Lord and ask, "Is this what You want me to do?  I was peacefully reassured that I just need to stay available to Him and be obedient and feel comfortable telling and re-telling my story; just like the lady in the restaurant did.  She was proud of her family and what they had done and still do.  It was pure joy to tell a complete stranger about her life.

                                                             My question!
Would you want to tell and retell your story and what your day consists of to a complete stranger?                                            

            More than that, are you comfortable before the One Who really matters about what you spend your time doing?   If you are, then go for it!  Live it to the fullest.  If not so much...then ask Him to sit down with you for a 2-hour span and tell you what He wants your life to look like.

    Now would I have chosen to wait 2 hours to eat?  NO!  Would I have chosen to sit beside a senile little old lady with more adventures under her belt than I knew possible?  Not before that night?  Next time though, yes!

      Your point, you might ask?  It's this.  Take some time ....  yes, even 2 hours and think about how your life is and what you want it to be like when you get 80.

      As I always say.  We are building our legacy NOW!  Today is part of your history and part of that story that you will get to tell when you're  stuck in a restaurant with a younger-than-you person.  Will they want to hear about your life even once?

     
Love in Him,

No comments:

Post a Comment