Friday, May 9, 2014

REST vs.IDLENESS



Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time. John Lubbock

Sounds inviting doesn't it?  But I know you might have had my grandmother who always said:
                 "And idle mind is the devil's workshop".  

     You know, I looked this morning and I could not find that in the Bible.  But even if I missed it...the saying is "an idle MIND, not body! Ok be honest! How many of you mothers out there feel guilty when you're "just reading a book"??  Your mind is not idle, but your body is getting a much needed REST.  

This is in the Bible and spoken by none other than Jesus:  And He said to them, "Come ye apart by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.   (Mark 6:31)

Have you been there?   Anybody?? When I was first made aware of this verse the one teaching gave his interpretation: 
                   "Come ye apart and rest or come ye apart."

      And I can hear you now.  "Lanita, you don't have my schedule".  You're right I don't and there was a day when I too did what you are doing.  But the "legacy" part for you is to tell you that my body has suffered for it and I can no longer do what I want to do even though I have the time.  Why?  Because I pushed and pushed and pulled and pulled and never took time to rest.  And I'm here to tell you; STOP occasionally and REST!!  
       
         My prayer for all of you out there that are meeting yourselves coming back or worse: you've lost yourself along the way... is taken from an obscure verse in Genesis:

"Please let a little water be brought and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree."
(Genesis 18:4 )

Love in Him,

No comments:

Post a Comment