Saturday, July 3, 2010

Legacy Lines from One Year Bible

Ok, with a blog entitled Lanita'sLegacy I cannot let my readings in the OneYearBible this week pass by without a "legacy" comment.  II Kings 18-22 are so rich in legacy-leaving-lines.  II Kings 18:19-20: "This is what the great king of Assyria says: What are you trusting in that makes you so confident?" This was asked by a pagan king to king Hezekiah.  What are we truly trusting in?  Is it really the Lord our God or--or-- what we can "finagle" (good East Tx word) or orchestrate on our own?? I fear we better get that settled because there are some trying days ahead.  But the verse I really want to hone in on is II Kings 20:6.  Hezekiah has become deathly ill, like just being diagnosed with terminal cancer.  Hezekiah prays for God to heal him & then sends Isaiah to tell him: I heard your prayer & and have  seen your tears." (oh, wow, that right there will preach & that's not even my point)!!! God, through Isaiah says in v.6: (I will add 15 years to your life, and I will rescue you and this city from the king of Assyria. ..)  Now whether you are young, old, or in between; ill or healthy as a horse (another good East Tx term) ; what would you do with a guaranteed extra 15 years to your life??  If you read the "rest of the story" (loved that Paul Harvey)  which is found in II Kings 6:7-21, Hezekiah did not do so well with his allotment.. check out v.19 "Then Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "This message you have given me from the LORD is good." But the king was thinking, "At least there will be peace & security during my lifetime."  Here God had told the king through Isaiah about the Jews being carried into exile..but his comment reflects only thoughts about himself.. Are we concerned only that there is peace & security for us & ours??  Oh, how God wants us to be concerned about what we are doing with our years that will make a difference for eternity.  My response to this message to me from the Holy Spirit in my usual Daily Bible Reading is: "Woe is me for I am undone"! (Isaiah 6:3) God help us all.!!  But...take heart!! Today is the day the Lord has made, we still have opportunities to leave a legacy.  Make some memories today that will make a difference forever. 

4 comments:

  1. Mom, this is one of my favorite passages! I love what the Assyrian King asks of Hezekiah! I too ask myself how I would answer that question and if my answer would match up with the way I live my life. I also love that the Lord heard his prayers and saw his tears. Thanks for reminding me today - even today - as I'm cleaning house and doing laundry to make the best of the time that God as given me - to do things that will bring peace to my children long after I'm gone!

    Good work here! You're making a difference! And I love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning! I am following you through seed of faith. I really like you blog! I look forward to reading more! I hope you will follow me too. I have lots of great giveaways right now! Have a great day! www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com
    I would love for you to join me on twitter at @loveandcents and facebook www.facebook.com/livingonloveandcents too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Than you so much for taking the time to check out an old grandmother's blog. Goodness gracious gal, how in the world do you do it?? A full time job, a full time family , 2 or 3 blogs to keep up with, church, and a husband. Wow!! i am impressed. It gives me hope. I only have a full-time job, a husband, a dog, a Sunday School class to teach, and then I'm free. But after Grandmother Camp I can tell you; you throw in those little kiddies 24/7 and wow. Love your blog & will be checking back. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete